In Case of Emergency
Did you know that your phone could help to save your live in the event of an emergency? Your phone can do many things, but arguably the most important function of all is to store your medical information so that it is accessible to first responders and medical professionals should they need it. Now, it all depends what type of phone you have.
If you have an Apple iPhone, here's how to do it:
- Open the Health App and tap the Medical ID tab.
- Tap 'Edit' and if asked tap 'Edit Medical ID'.
- To make your Medical ID available from the Lock screen on your iPhone, turn on 'Show when locked'. This enables people who want to help to access the information without needing your passcode.
- Enter your health information like your birth date, height, blood type, medications, and any extra medical notes.
- Ensure that any additional needs or long term conditions you may have are stored here (eg: Are you diabetic? Do you have a heart condition?)
- Tap 'Done'.
To add your Emergency contacts:
- Open the Health App and tap the 'Medical ID' tab
- Tap 'Edit' then scroll to 'Emergency Contacts'
- To add an emergency contact, tap '+' under emergency contacts. Tap a contact then add their relationship to you. (eg: Father, Mother, Partner)
- Hint: It may be useful to add more than one emergency contact, just in case one is not contactable in the event of an emergency.
You can also state whether or not you are registered an an organ donor. It is also beneficial to make sure your family are aware of your choice.
If you have an Android phone, here's how to do it:
- Open your Android's lock screen (Turn your Android on, and press the lock button to get the lock screen).
- Tap the 'Emergency' button (This button is usually located at the bottom or at the top of your lock screen).
- Double tap the 'Emergency information' button.
- To add or edit this information, click 'ADD' or the pencil symbol.
- This will allow you to enter information for first responders to use in the event of an emergency without your passcode.
- You can add an emergency contact here. A list of all of your contacts will show on the screen.
- Select the contact you would like to designate as your emergency contact and tap their name on the list. This will add their name, phone number, and other details to your Emergency information page.
- It is advisable to add more than one, in case one is not contactable in the event of an emergency.
If you have another phone, you can simply add 'ICE' in front of the contacts you would like to designate.
For example: ICE Dad / ICE Mum/ ICE Joe Bloggs
You could even add a photo to make this contact stand out even more, and write your medical information in the notes below the contact information.